slow lane life 3

slow lane life 3

Sunday 31 December 2017

Looking forward

Goodbye 2017. 



Looking back, 2017 has been an abysmal year in far too many ways, and I for one am very relieved that it's coming to a close. I've felt knocked sideways by it at times.

Let's hope that the coming year is brighter, better, kinder, more caring, more thoughtful, more optimistic, but if it isn't, I will do all I can to make this happen in my own life, in little ways perhaps, but as a counterbalance to the bewildering and frightening world out there.

In line with this, I think I'm going to rest my blog for now; I've found it increasingly difficult to find much to say that isn't despondent and doom-laden. It has begun to feel like hard work to avoid every post becoming a written form of that usually-cheerful neighbour popping round unexpectedly "just to say hello" then surprising you by bursting into tears all over you.

I'll keep the cats' blog going, because there are updates - be warned, some sad ones - to post there, and the cats themselves are a source of comfort regardless, for those of us who like that sort of thing!

I wish you all health, happiness, hope, peace and love (yes! especially peace and love!) in 2018.



13 comments:

  1. Wishing you a Happier New Year ! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very best wishes to you and yours, too. Happy 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm at one with you about 2017. Do you think it was harder because of the intense love and hopes you have for your grandson? I certainly feel that way. Let's carry your good wishes into 2018 and return them with thanks and best wishes wherever you are, whatever you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The year just passed (on my side of the Date Line) was not a pleasant one.So, like you, I leave its tarnished bits where they fell and I'll move on, being kinder and more caring and hoping for better...
    Health and happiness and love to you and those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then I hope you have a more peaceful and happier 2018, but we are always here, and thinking of you. As far as the wider world goes, we can but hope! All the best. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Rachel to you and your family. Thank you for posting and letting us all know you were as ok as you could be. I'm sorry you are going to rest your blog because although I don't often write much in replies on here, I have welcomed your blog and news so much. It has helped me so much in ways that I cannot express on here. Thank you again and I wish you well and hope that 2018 is a much better year all round for everyone. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry to hear that your blogging is to stop. I just caught up with the cats' blog....I didn't realise that was still going! 2017 wasn't a perfect year for us as our eldest son's wife left him 6 months ago. I am so proud of him as in that time he has managed to move house ( a couple of weeks ago) and is coping with a full time job that also allows him to have the children ( 7 and 5) half the time. ( with our help). On the plus side, a short while after the split, our middle son and DIL announced that they had a baby on the way...their first, and apparently a boy! Due in early March. Anyway, I wish you and the gardener and the cats and dog a Happy New Year. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year. I hope you find some peace in 2018 and I shall miss your blog. I'm not a great commentator but have been following you since before we both moved to Somerset around the same time. I hope you are able to focus on your world, family and home and what gives you contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year,you will be missed. I hope 2018 is a better year for you all x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you all the very best. I have been quietly enjoying your blog and will very much miss it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. On no! You are stopping just as I'm trying to start up again! Hope you keep something going though

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete